It has long been a misconception that Jeeps are not the most fuel efficient vehicles available today. While they may average less than other vehicles, Jeeps are not as bad as many think when it comes to fuel efficiency. With that being said, there are some things you can do to make them even more efficient and get the most out of your gas.
- The first thing you should do is check the condition of your Jeep. An engine in need of a tune-up, low tire pressure or a bad oil or air filter can influence the gas mileage your Jeep averages. To increase your gas mileage, repair any of these existing problems.
- Using a lower gear when driving will use less gas than if you drive constantly in a higher gear. You should also limit how often you use four-wheel drive if you are trying to increase your gas mileage. Using four-wheel drive places more strain on the engine and causes it to burn more fuel.
- Carrying less weight is a great way to increase your gas mileage. If you use your Jeep to tow anything you will burn more gas. The heavier the item you are towing the more fuel you are going to burn, so to increase your gas mileage limit how often you tow something behind your Jeep.
- Keep your idling to a minimum. Letting your Jeep idle for long period of time will burn more gas than if you simply restarted it. To increase your gas mileage you may want to consider turning off your engine when you are stuck in traffic or at the end of a long line.
- Making a few changes to the exterior of your Jeep can also increase your gas mileage. Keeping your roof rack empty as often as possible, saying no to antennae decorations and not placing any other decorative items on the exterior of your Jeep will help keep it more aerodynamic and increase the level of fuel efficiency you have.
- Limiting how often you use the air conditioning system in your Jeep will also increase your level of efficiency. Instead of running the air conditioning you may opt to open the windows or remove the top of your Jeep.
Fuel mileage can determine on a variety of conditions, by using the tips above you will increase the amount of gas mileage you get out of your Jeep on regular basis.